Search This Blog

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Honey Pancakes with Raspberry Syrup

I love the weekend because I have time to play with food. Saturdays and Sunday mean scones, muffins, cakes, and of course pancakes. I am on a low carbohydrate diet because of some health problems, so my family and friends get to eat the results. I don't mind because once I can eat these foods again, they are perfected.

I've tested this on the waffle iron and unless you season the iron before using it and add another 1/4 cup of olive oil, the batter will stick to the griddle. I have a different recipe for waffles.


Honey Pancakes

1.5 cups Bob's Redmill All Purpose Baking Flour (garbanzo, tapioca, sorghum, potato and fava flours)
1/2 cup Amaranth Flour
1/4 cup Tapioca Flour
1 tsp baking powder (corn free)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup honey (sub 1/4 cup agave)
1+ cup water to get the right consistency
1 tsp coconut vinegar

1 heaping tsp coconut oil to grease the pan

First combine all of the dry ingredients:
Then add the honey, oil, and water:

Add the coconut vinegar last, when your pan is preheated, oiled, and ready to go. I use a smaller soup ladle to spoon in the batter and make 4" diameter pancakes. Wait for air bubbles to form on the top of your pancakes before flipping them. These pancakes have a really nice golden color to them:




Raspberry Sauce

These pancakes are great with any topping but we have an abundance of raspberries in our freezer thanks to my grandparents. They have tons of raspberry plants, and every year they are very generous and give us gallons of organic raspberries. Yum.

This batch was made straight out of the freezer. The recipe is going to be a bit vague because I didn't take the best measurements.

I used about 1/2 a quart sized bag of raspberries and added about 3 TB of water. Wait for the berries to cook down a bit and add 2 tsp of tapioca. The berries are mostly water and will cook down quickly. Add in agave to taste (and I usually taste frequently - raspberries are my favorite).

Raspberries, frozen, in the pan:

Cooked down - note that tapioca starch acts quite a bit like corn starch and will become translucent once it is close to finished cooking. Note that this has not quite finished cooking and has a pink tinge and is opaque. The finished product is a very rich red:


No comments:

Post a Comment