Search This Blog

Friday, November 5, 2010

Kale Chips - Nutritional Yeast Free

Vegan Mofo day 5. I elected to do a short post. It's been a long work week and I'm a little fried after a day at the office. I don't react well to any type of yeast (baker's, nutritional...you name it), so one of my first acts dabbling as a raw vegan was to make a tasty version of kale chips that didn't call for yeast.


Kale Chips

1 bunch curly leafed kale
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
sprinkle of cumin
sprinkle of cayenne pepper
2 Tb olive oil
1/2 lemon juiced

Tear up the kale and put in a large bowl. Squeeze the lemon over the top and pour in olive oil. Use tongs to mix well. Sprinkle spices while using tongs to mix ingredients around. Spread the seasoned kale over a couple of dehydrator trays. I put a mesh dehydrator sheet over the top so dried kale doesn't go flying around the dehydrator. Dehydrate at 105-115 degrees F for 4-8 hours.

Alternatively, I suppose you could put the kale on a cookie sheet at the lowest heat possible in the oven. I use my dehydrator more often than you would think.

1 comment:

  1. We almost always make kale chips in the oven with only olive oil and course salt. We like it that way, but cumin and cayenne seems like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete