Search This Blog

Monday, November 8, 2010

Vegan Mofo Day 8: Scalloped Turnips and Potatoes

Scalloped potatoes was always a favorite dish of mine as a kid. I had severe allergies to many kinds of foods, especially dairy. After the age of 8, all of those allergies "magically" (read temporarily) disappeared and I was able to eat whatever I wanted. I really embraced that concept after the age of 18. College was full of very gross food. Before the age of 18, scalloped potatoes was a rare fat fest. When the allergies came back, I swear having a childhood full of healthy foods made it easier for me to give up the foods I was getting sick from (eating something and feeling very ill immediately afterwards helped too). The more I read about those foods, the less I miss them. I do remember cheesy scalloped potatoes though. I don't so much miss the cheese as the onion-y layers of starchy goodness.

I bought these really gorgeous turnips at the farmer's market yesterday and I started thinking about oven roasting them. Then my mind worked its way back to my childhood favorite, and I decided to kick up the health level a bit by cutting back on the potatoes, adding turnips, forgoing any dairy (of course), and focusing on a strong flavor profile. Ginger, sea salt, and sesame oil are a very rich combination. My husband enjoyed this dish very much, and I had to remind him to leave me some for my lunch tomorrow.


Scalloped Turnips and Potatoes
About 4 servings as a main dish
4 mid-sized turnips
2 red potatoes
1/3 of an onion
1 tsp ginger, fresh grated
3 Tb sesame oil
Garlic powder to taste
a few pinches of salt

Thinly slice the turnips, red potatoes, and onion using a mandolin slicer. Put down a layer of turnips, then potatoes, then scatter some onions, and grate some ginger over the top.



Pour a small amount of sesame oil over the top and then add a pinch of salt. Keep repeating the layers. I sprinkled a little garlic powder over the top layer, although I wouldn't say it's necessary by any means.


Cook in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes.

Turnips are really watery, so if that bothers you, you can try adding a little tapioca starch to thicken things up. It really didn't bother us, and you can use the leftover juice to form a vegan gravy or sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment