Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

The perfect breakfast: Apple stuffed crepes with kreme cheeze glaze


I have to say I may have outdone myself this morning. A friend and coworker of mine challenged me to make gluten free, corn free, dairy free, soy free crepes, and I think I nailed it. My mom stopped by this morning just in time to get a plate handed to her and I know the food is good when she and Lance get really quiet. I brought some to my grandparents and they loved it - and they never thought they'd touch gluten free food!

Crepes are a bit of a process. The batter must sit for a minimum of 20 minutes so the flours can soak up the liquid. I used a normal ceramic skillet instead of a fancy crepe pan. I'm not used to making them yet, so a few were un-uniform and a little thick, but by the end they were coming out beautifully.

Sweet Crepe Batter
Makes 12 crepes
1 cup Bob Redmill's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup Sorghum Flour
1/2 cup Potato Starch
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup olive oil
1 cup + water
1/4 cup agave

The batter has to be fairly runny, so you may have to play with the amount of water. Crepes should lay flat, so no vinegar is needed with this recipe to activate the baking soda. I combined all of the dry ingredients and whisked them to mix them well and then added in the liquid. After that was all combined, we took the dogs for a nice long walk to let the batter sit.

When we got back from our walk, I remixed the batter and found that you really need to have a ladle that will hold several tablespoons worth so you can pour the batter at once. I tried using a smaller spoon, and it was just making it more difficult to get the right thickness and shape. I preheated a ceramic skillet over medium heat and seasoned the pan with a bit of coconut oil on a paper towel.

Before each crepe, I added 1/2 a teaspoon of coconut oil to the pan and coated the pan bottom. It may not be necessary, but adds nice flavor. I lifted the pan up off the heat and shifted the pan around in a circular motion to spread the batter. It's a bit awkward, but after a few crepes I got the hang of it:
Here's an image of a crepe I did early on (obviously I hadn't gotten the hang of forming the crepe shape yet), to illustrate when to work the spatula under the crepe to flip it to the other side. These crepes become a beautiful golden color, and that color starts to become visible on the edge an bubbles form across the top of the crepe:
I had two plates I moved the crepes to. One plate held the most recently cooked crepe to allow it to cool. Once the next crepe in the pan was near ready, I moved the crepe from the cooling pan to the stack of crepes on another plate. I put a piece of wax paper between each crepe to keep them from sticking to each other:


Apple Maple Sauce
4 Apples, diced
2 TB water
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger

Put the ingredients in a sauce pan over medium heat and stir occasionally. This sauce takes about 10-15 minutes to cook down.

Kreme Cheeze Glaze
1/2 cup cashews
1/4 cup water
3-4 TB Honey (more to taste)
1/2 a lemon, juiced
pinch of salt
3 TB palm oil

Put the cashews, water, honey, and lemon in a high speed blender and blend until very smooth. The mixture will heat up a bit in the blender. Add palm oil - the mixture should help melt the oil. The oil is intended to give the mixture a little more body.

Preparing the Crepes

Put a crepe on your serving plate and spoon the Apple Maple Sauce along the middle of the crepe:
Fold each side of the crepe over the top of the filling:
Pour the glaze over the top and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment