Search This Blog

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Teff Waffles


This weekend Lance and I celebrated our anniversary. We woke up Saturday morning and I got to work on breakfast. Lance had wanted waffles for a while, but the batters I had tried just weren't holding up well enough. I decided to try teff - which I had used in a bread recipe that just didn't go over well. The taste was still pleasant enough that I thought it would do well for breakfast.

Teff is a darker grain that has a bolder (but pleasant) flavor, so it's best paired with milder, sweeter grains. It is gluten free and nutrient rich.

Teff Waffles

1/2 cup Teff
1 1/2 cup Sorghum Flour
3/4 cup Tapioca Flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp Baking Soda
3 TB Potato Starch
1/2 cup Olive Oil
1/3 cup Agave
1 1/2 cup Water

I highly recommend purchasing a non-aerosol olive oil sprayer. Bed Bath and Beyond carries them for under $10 and they are very handy. I would use grape seed oil to spray the waffle pan prior to putting down the batter. Gluten free batter doesn't hold up quite as well because the gluten acts as a binder. If the batter continues to stick, put more oil in the batter.

These waffles are great with maple syrup or any kind of fruit topping.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cami,
    I found this recipe googling "teff waffles." I'm eating them right now and they're fabulous! Thanks so much.

    I also spent a couple of minutes reading your other blog. My wife and I both got very ill with serious Candida overgrowth three years ago. We had very little relief with any allopathic treatments but have had great success with a combination of acupuncture and clinical herbal formulas. Is that an area you've looked into at all?

    ReplyDelete